•Try•
Catch

Articles 1.6.6 preview

Rekindling MODX Articles Development

If you use MODX Revolution you may have come across the Articles blogging extra. Articles allows you to create multiple blog “containers” each of which can have their own unique settings and contain blog posts, known as “Articles”. Development of MODX Articles has stalled over the last several months, but it is now being picked back up over at a new forked repository and being led by myself.

Now this doesn’t mean I’m going to be working on it 24/7 adding all the bells and whistles of your dreams. I have lots of projects I’m working on, and I need your help. Like, I dunno wanna help me improve tagging? So head on over to the new modxcms/Articles repository, check out what’s new and let’s see what we can build together.

What’s coming in Articles 1.6.6

Articles 1.6.6
===============================
- Set depth to 0 when looking for Article Container children
- added Clear Cache checkbox to Article Publishing Information panel
- Fixed right click Articel Container > Write New links bug
- Fix default template on Article Import
- removed Rich Text setting from Article Container
- added 'Editing Options' panel with Rich Text option
- Rich Text is now managed on the Article level
- Add check to only search the alias map if it's an array
- Lexicon updates
- Updated Quip to 2.3.3-pl

If you notice any issues with Articles, please feel free to log them through GitHub here.

Comments (14)

1. Dan Hart:
    Jun 21, 2013 at 04:51 PM

Oh man...sweet. I don't know that I would be very good at the development, but I can certainly try. I can definitely test and try to break things...

2. JP DeVries:
    Jun 21, 2013 at 05:09 PM

Dan,

Testing is a big part of what we need help with! If you are on Github you can checkout and build the develop branch. But here is a copy of the Articles-1.6.6 release candiate. Of course, don't install it anywhere that matters ;)

3. Dan Hart:
    Jun 21, 2013 at 06:00 PM

Excellent. I will test over the weekend and let you know if I see anything. Is there anything specific you want me to test for or would you like a standard blackbox test?

I am not on Github...yet. Will get hooked up to that as well. I do have a dropbox as well for future use.

4. JP DeVries:
    Jun 21, 2013 at 06:12 PM

Main things to look for are installation errors (I think it's normal for stuff to show up in console log) but make sure nothing breaks. Test the new clear cache and rich text boxes, and then just general testing trying to break anything and produce errors on front nd or broken manager pages

5. Dan hart:
    Jun 21, 2013 at 06:24 PM

Got it.

Do you want testing in 2.2.8 only? Does it matter if it is a traditional vs advanced install?

I will be testing in Chromium, Iceweasel(Debian rebrand of Firefox), and Opera. I don't have easy access to Internet Explorer. I will also test in Midori which has acted a lot like Safari on my machine. There have been very subtle differences between Chromium and Midori, even though they both use Webkit.

6. JP DeVries:
    Jun 21, 2013 at 06:25 PM

I think just testing in 2.2.8 would be fine, but I won't stop you from trying others. I wouldn't image there would be cross browser issues, and it's mostly server side updates. One thing worth testing those is importing Articles from existing MODX Resources to see if you can reproduce the incorrect template on import bug that should be fixed. Thanks!

7. Dan Hart:
    Jun 21, 2013 at 08:30 PM

I just submitted an issue in Github. I suspect these are the errors you were referring to above. I figured better to report this and it be a known issue than to not report it.

8. JP DeVries:
    Jun 21, 2013 at 08:30 PM

Thanks!

9. ae:
    Jun 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Will you also look into existing bugs? I have a client where a scheduled article publication doesn't send out the twitter post, while a manual publish does. I tried to find this problem in the code, but wasn't able to. Any ideas? Dank :)

10. JP DeVries:
    Jun 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I will be looking into existing bugs. We are working on moving the mover from tracker.modx.com to the modxcms/Articles GitHub Issue Tracker. I had actually assumed Twitter was broken completely since their recent changes to the API, but I will make sure to test this out.
    Somewhat related, on the note of future publishing, one bug fixed in Articles 1.6.6 is that it now properly generates URLs when scheduling articles to future publish.

11. Peter:
    Jun 22, 2013 at 02:58 AM

Hoping we'll see categories in there too. Biggest request from clients using Articles.

12. JP DeVries:
    Jun 23, 2013 at 05:27 PM

Categories and improved tagging seem to be the most requested. Improving tagging is relatively straightforward, categories is still be discussed the best way to implement.

13. Dan Hart:
    Jun 23, 2013 at 06:35 PM

Where is the correct place to ask questions regarding the implementation of categories? I would like to throw an idea out there if that is ok.

14. JP DeVries:
    Jun 24, 2013 at 04:40 PM

Articles discussion, feature requests and bugs are now here https://github.com/modxcms/Articles/issues